Monday, May 7, 2018

It's Here!


Last month I blogged about the time for publication of my newest book, Pick and Chews, approaching.  Well, it's here, and I'm delighted!


The official publication date isn't until tomorrow, but I've received copies, plus some were available at Malice Domestic.  I enjoy that conference for a lot of reasons, and one of them is getting to see my latest book on sale, and getting to sign copies for readers who've acquired them.


Pick and Chews is my fourth Barkery & Biscuits Mystery from Midnight Ink.  I love the series, and not only because it involves dogs--as does everything I'm writing these days.  But I'm especially fond of my protagonist, Carrie Kennersly, because she is bright and versatile and does a lot of good in her life.  First, she started out as a veterinary technician, where she developed some healthy dog treats.  When a friend who owned a bakery moved out of town, Carrie bought the shop and turned half into a barkery.  I admire her for that, especially since I'm not much of a cook.  And Carrie still works part-time as a vet tech.


Then, of course, since this is a cozy mystery series, she became an amateur sleuth--out of necessity, since in the first book she was a murder suspect and had to clear herself.  Since then some of her friends have suffered the same fate.  In Pick and Chews that happens to be her love interest, veterinarian Dr. Reed Storme, who's been telling her to back off from nosing around after murders for her own safety.  He's a little less vocal about that now, since he's the one who's a murder suspect.


In addition to everything else, Carrie holds adoption events in her barkery to help dogs who are residents of Mountaintop Rescue find new and loving homes.  Those events are always quite successful. 


I admire Carrie and all she does.  She's one of those characters I'd love to meet in real life.


Well, okay, yes, I invented Carrie, so of course I had to do a good job creating her background and personality and more.  And yes, I like her a lot. 


I know it's not unusual for writers to feel happy with their created characters.  Still... I particularly enjoy my Barkery & Biscuits Mysteries and welcome readers to check them out and meet Carrie on the page as well.


Yay, Pick and Chews!


No comments: