Wednesday, June 6, 2012

New Beginnings

In the past three weeks, I have experienced what can only be called a blessed maelstrom of life and career cycle events. As I seem to be one for list making, mainly out of necessity lately, here's some of what went down in my household in May:

1. My eldest son graduated from high school. 
2. My little one graduated from kindergarten.
3. Both of my boys competed in state diving championships, where Andrew (the graduate) was awarded Colorado Diver of the Year.
4. I turned in copy edits on THE BIG BANG, for November 2012 release.
5. I turned ETERNALLY 21 into Midnight Ink for a spring 2013 release.
6. My mother-in-law was hospitalized.  (Thankfully with a non life-threatening condition.)
7. We hosted a cocktail party for the parents in my daughter's kindergarten class.
8. We hosted high school graduation party.
9. Andrew turned 18.
10. My husband and I celebrated our 20th anniversary.
11. We remodeled the front hall bathroom.
12. We went to an out of town family wedding. 

I capped off the month with the most life altering event of all-- the morning after my son's graduation party, we hopped on a plane and the next thing I knew, I was getting him settled in at Indiana University to start training as a Division One diver. I arrived in Bloomington on Thursday night with a wide-eyed recent high school graduate and left a college kid behind by Sunday. Not only was he enrolled in a summer Comp 101 class and already had two practices under his belt with the team, but was on the front lawn of his apartment, shirtless and hanging with his new teammates in the midst of one of those co-ed barbecues we all remember so well. So much for teary goodbyes!


Back at home, the whirlwind that was May and a few of the inevitable tears are now behind me. With one boy and two manuscripts out the door, things are bittersweet and eerily quiet. Well, as eerily quiet as a house can be with another teenager, a seven year old and a main character looking for a new adventure lurking about. I am left with a few seconds to breathe, one empty (albeit clean for the first time in years) bedroom and a blank word document entitled Book 2.  

Ahh, transitions...



No comments: