Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Editors: What I am REALLY thankful for...

In following along with Vicki's author post, I thought I would post about what I am thankful for as an editor.  Here goes!!


Inkers at Malice

1.  Readers.  Let's face it, we wouldn't be making books if there was no one reading them.  I love readers.  I feel at home with them.  They understand me and I understand them.  The written word, no matter what genre or style, connects us all.


2. Authors.  I am so lucky to work with a group of wonderful authors.  Excellent writers, yes.  But more importantly for me, incredibly fabulous people.


Production editor
Nicole
3.  Co-workers.  There are many people involved in making a book - art, production editors, designers, marketing, publicity, sales, the warehouse folks that ship our books out...  every piece is important.  And my fellow acquisitions editors - even though we acquire different types of books, we are a team and somehow manage to keep each other somewhat sane.

4.  Co-workers who bring food/treats.  Today I am pigging out on chips and homemade dip.  Good for the soul...  not good for the waistline.  :(

5.  My mom.  I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for my mom.  Not only is she a big reader, she has supported me in every step I've made to get here.  :)

6.  Captain Morgan.  Need I say more?

Ben LeRoy
of Tyrus Books
7.  Conferences and writers conventions.  Anytime there is a gathering of readers and/or writers, it's a good thing.  The energy is amazing and while cons are physically exhausting, they do boost my spirits.  At a con, I am among my people.


Agent Josh Getzler and
Inkers Linda Hull and Alan Orloff
8.  Coffee.  Kinda goes along the same lines as Captain Morgan.  :)


9.  Agents and other editors.  It's important to have connections with agents and editors.  Not only do agents bring me polished manuscripts, but these relationships keep me in tune with what is happening in the publishing world.  That, of course, helps me to do my job better.


10.  My authors who send food.  :)

hmm... maybe I should re-commit to going to the gym.  Yep, I better do that soon.

Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

Terri

3 comments:

Lois Winston said...

Terri, aren't you forgetting the bacon? ;-)

Terri Bischoff said...

OMG - How could I forget bacon? The most lovely food in all the land. Every meal is better when there is a side of bacon. :)

Jessie Chandler said...

And in Terri's world, this included bacon with dessert. In fact, they has chocolate-dipped bacon at the state fair. Maybe this author better get some of that for our intrepid acquisitions editor