Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Crickets? Do I Hear Crickets?

Different people have different goals. So it follows that different writers (who generally qualify as “people”) also have different goals. Some writers go for the heartstrings; others go for the scary. Still others try for some kind of intellectual enrichment or spiritual enlightenment.

Me? I just aim to entertain.

That’s my goal, to be entertaining. I want the reader to put down one of my books and think, “Man, that was one entertaining book!” Of course, “entertaining” is a rather broad, and rather vague, term. One person’s entertaining book may render another reader comatose. But I figure if I’m entertained writing it, then there will be others entertained reading it (I’m not that much of an outlier in my tastes).

What’s entertaining? Hard to describe exactly, but I know it when I read it. I like interesting characters, but not too “interesting.” Suspense. Mystery. Some humor throughout. A personal challenge for the protagonist to tackle. Unexpected plot twists. You know, stuff that compels me to keep turning pages.

My prose may be pedestrian, my settings spartan, but if someone calls my book a “real page-turner,” then I’m a happy guy. As one recent president said, “Mission Accomplished.”

open micI try to achieve the same goal when I do an appearance or book talk. Be entertaining! With that in mind, I’m going to step out of my comfort zone and try something new as I promote KILLER ROUTINE. Since the book features a stand-up comic and takes place in a comedy club, I’ve put together a short (very short) stand-up routine.

Now, I’m certainly no comedian (just ask my kids). But in doing research for the series, I had the opportunity to “experience” some open-mic performances. For those of you who haven’t, the quality of the “comedy” is a bit, uh, “uneven.” So my “routine” should “fit” “right” “in.”

My “debut” performance will be this Saturday, at my KILLER ROUTINE Book Launch (If you live in the DC area, you’re invited: Sat, April 16 at 4:00 at the Reston (VA) Barnes & Noble. There will be cake!).

What’s the worst that could happen? I’m already used to plying my trade in complete silence.

 

Who else has stepped out of their comfort zones when promoting a book? Or anything else?

Alan

No comments: