Thursday, July 1, 2010

Will (The Real) Darrell James Please Stand Up


Whenever asked to stand at a public gathering to identify myself, my usual flippant response is “I’m already standing.”

Okay, it’s a clichéd old joke. But, in those instances, I can afford a little levity because I arrive with a basic egocentric attitude, an intrinsic confidence, that I will be the only Darrell James in the room rising from the chair. And why not? I have, after all, never actually met another “me” in real life.

My concept of self is rather limited. I am a former sales engineer; now a mystery writer; a husband, father, and grandfather; a friend to those who know me; and an all around nice guy to the world at large.

At least that’s what I choose to think. So, to verify and affirm my identify, I turned to the keeper of all great knowledge—the Internet. Imagine my dismay when a Google search of myself revealed that I am NOT the only me.

For one thing, I am Darrell James Inmate Looking For Love.

It had never occurred to me that I was both loveless and an inmate. Although, there are days when I feel strapped to my laptop and not feeling any love at all .

I also discovered that I have my own country western band in Chicago. This struck me as though I’m really not taking complete advantage of my celebrity. Where are all the cute cowgirl CW groupies, throwing themselves on my stage?

I am also a New York actor with a number of film roles to my credit (again, the groupies). I’m a photographer specializing in action sports photos. And, I am quite the business man, it seems. Among my financial successes are my travel agency in Winter Haven, Florida, my maintenance business in North Carolina, and my sixty story office building in Sydney, Australia, appropriately and justifiably bearing my name—The Darrell James Building.

(I really need to stop by there sometime and check out my penthouse office digs.)

All these “me”s. All these successes. Where do I get the energy? And how can I be in so many places at the same time?

The answer has to be… Imposters!

I’ve decided there are a lot of people running around out there impersonating me. And in some cases (sadly) doing a better job of it than, well… me!

As authors, we all work to make our name well known. We post it, we blog it , we Facebook it, and U-Tube it. But, alas, a name is just a name. And, as you can see, we don’t actually own the exclusive rights to ourselves.

It’s depressing. But, I take heart in the fact that at least a few of me are upholding some fairly good standards. And, to all us Darrell James’s of the world, I promise to do my part to represent us as best I can.

Tell me: Who’s impersonating you? Google yourself, then come back with what you’ve learned.

And, if any of “us” are listening, stop by and say hello.

No comments: