Thursday, June 10, 2010

BOOKS AND FOOD

Books and food, my two favorite subjects. I write mysteries that take place in a pie shop. The sleuth is a baker who learned everything she knows about lemon meringue, key lime, and pumpkin chiffon from her dear grannie who's gone to her reward in the upscale retirement home on the hill. There she plays Bridge (where her opponent is murdered right there at the card table). I not only write food-based mysteries with recipes included, I read them too. I recently read a mystery that takes place in a tea shop. The descriptions of the exotic types of tea and the muffins and scones made my mouth water. I had to drop everything including my work in progress and bake a batch of chocolate sour cream scones. Which were scrumptious.
It's not enough to write about food, I belong to a book club that chooses a culinary theme based on the book we're reading. Tonight's book was Swedish author Steig Larson's THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO. After a spirited discussion we ate Swedish meatballs, open face sandwiches on Swedish rye bread, Matjes herring with dill, and pancakes with Lingonberry jam.
It's not easy being a food writer, reader and eater, all at the same time, but I'm giving it my best shot. What sacrifices do you make for your craft?

No comments: