Sunday, April 18, 2010

TO GO OR NOT TO GO, THAT IS THE QUESTION

I too will be traveling soon, leaving by ship from Ft. Lauderdale to sail to Spain and Portugal. The problem is the return by plane via Aer Lingus through Dublin whose air space is now covered with ash from the aptly named volcano Eyjafjallajokull. I love sailing across the ocean, the long, lazy days at sea. Stopping at foreign ports to explore crumbling castles and bargaining in bazaars. I once traveled the world as a translator on a hospital ship. More recently I taught writing classes on cruise ships. This trip is just for fun or so I thought until I heard the news and saw those scary pictures of the erupting volcano with the billowing clouds covering half of Europe. So what to do? Cancel now and recoup some of the money? Or take a chance and if I'm stuck, camp out on a beach in the south of Spain for weeks, months or years, communicating with my editors from an Internet Cafe. Isn't there something in our contract about Forces of Nature?

No comments: