Friday, November 21, 2008

It takes a village, people

One of the most important page in our books is the acknowledgements. There we pay homage to those who have helped us along the road to being published. Our critique groups. Our agents and editors. Our mothers.

Today, I’d like to acknowledge those who are helping me now. Helping me marketl my books, find a fan base and along the way, create my career as an author. Last weekend, I drove 400 miles down to Southern California to sign books. I’m amazed at the number of people that were required to make it happen.

So thanks go out to:

My friend, ML, who introduced me to her in-laws, Dr. and Dr. G, who put me up for the weekend. The three of them fed me, sheltered and supported me in all ways great and small. Every artist needs a patron and lucky me to find two with a fabulous wine cellar.

The shop owners. Mary at The Fabric Patch in Montclair didn’t know me at all when I called up and suggested she might want to have me sign books in her store. In this economy, heck, in any economy, it takes a leap of faith to spend your inventory dollars on an unknown quantity. Mary took that leap and we sold many copies of WILD GOOSE CHASE and OLD MAID’S PUZZLE.

Joan Bunte of Stamp Your Heart Out in Claremont jumped on the bandwagon early and put me on her schedule before STAMPED OUT was released. She ordered several dozen books. We sold out and had an exciting afternoon, with stampers and writers.

The employees, who set up cookies and snacks and made sure the customers were happy and having a good time. A special shout out to those who'd read the book and were enthusiastically recommending it to all within earshot.

I stopped at several book stores and found copies of my books on hand and gratefully signed them. It was evident everywhere I went that shop owners were being cautious. I thank the book buyers and owners that have my book on their shelves.

The fans, of course. One gentleman had taken three buses and a train to get to a signing. Yet another, Simmy, came just hours after having evacuated from the Chino Hills fire. Safely.

These are some of the people who made that weekend possible. Everytime I do a signing, there are a legion of people working to make that happen. For those past and present events, I say thanks.

5 comments:

Keith Raffel said...

Wow. Neither rain nor snow nor gloom of night shall stay Terri's readers from getting their hands on her books.

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Terri, I'm very impressed by the tenacity of your readers. And you're right, it takes a village, or at least a team, to really launch and keep a writing career rolling.

Next time you're in So. Cal, let me know. I'll buy you lunch!

Terri Thayer said...

It doesn't surprise a hard core crafter like me that people left their burning neighborhoods to get their fix. I once left my six year old son puking outside a fabric store while I finished getting flannel cut.

Hey, I knew I was going to be stuck inside with a sick kid for a few days, and I needed to make robes for Christmas. He's gotten over it. I think.

G.M. Malliet said...

The man who took all the buses and trains: Bless his heart!

Terri Thayer said...

Not just a public transit advocate, he was a writer, too. A new SinC LA member, he's written a craft mystery with a male protag. Should be interesting!