Thursday, June 12, 2008

It's Real

Some time ago, I attended a writers' conference where one of the speakers described the point at which his book became real to him. It seems he was in the habit of going to a local coffeeshop each day to write. The staff got used to him over the months and years, and seemed to regard him as a mildly eccentric but harmless scribbler. He thinks they imagined he was journaling or keeping a diary.

Then one day, he showed up with his published book under his arm. The bound, final, glorious copy of the book he'd written in their shop. He said he wished he'd had a photo of the looks on their faces. He's now a local hero.

My checking copy of Death of a Cozy Writer appeared on my doorstep the other day. A checking copy is actually the finished product, but I was asked to read through it - yet again! - to find any minor mistakes that could be corrected when the book goes into reprint.

Now, I had seen this book in all the various forms: manuscript, advanced reader copies, proof pages. This was the first time I'd seen the whole, real thing, with the actual front and back cover. I have to tell you, there is no thrill like it. Too bad I don't often write in a coffee shop or I'd be there in a flash showing it off.

7 comments:

Terri Thayer said...

Wasn't that the best feeling - pulling a copy of your book out of the envelope? I'd been expecting an ugly ARC cover, not my beautifully rendered MI cover, so I was surprised. And thrilled.

I passed it around my local coffee shop,too. The best reaction was from one of the baristas who was an aspiring screenwriter. He held it with such awe and reverence, I was reminded again what a big deal it is to have a book published.

Congrats!

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

I cry each time I see and hold one of my finished books for the first time. Not unlike holding a baby, straight from the womb, and counting its fingers and toes.

Mark Combes said...

Welcome to the club G.M.! Now is when the "real" work starts....

Oh, and that second novel? It won't write itself....

Joe Moore said...

Congrats, Gin. It truly is a wonderful feeling. You are now part of an elite club of writers who have thought about writing a book, written a book, got it published, and held it in your hands. There are a few more great moments coming--seeing it in the book store, signing your first copy, and best of all, seeing a total stranger reading your book.

Like Mark said, the easy part is over. Now you have to go to work promoting and marketing. And writing the most important book of your life--the dreaded #2. Enjoy the moment.

Felicia Donovan said...

Congratulations, Gin. The first time I received a bound copy of THE BLACK WIDOW AGENCY, I was so overwhelmed I couldn't even open up the package. I set it aside for a day and then slowly savored the moment.

It's a very special moment in every writer's life that attests to all the hard work and marks the transition from "writer" to "author." Enjoy it and keep bringing those babies into the world!

CandaceCalvert said...

Congratulations, Gin! That thrill never wanes--proven by the fact that hubby opened the box of checking copies for AYE DO OR DIE (my second MI mystery) and showed it to me through the glass door of our shower.This squealing author nearly stepped on the soap and broke her hip!!

Enjoy all your moments. :-)

Candy

jbstanley said...

Isn't it surreal to see your name right up there in the author's spot! Store up this feeling, Gin. You've worked hard to get here!