Tuesday, June 5, 2007

breathe in, breathe out....



"There are only two things in life,
and I forget what they are."
-John Hiatt

I was at a baseball game the other night with a friend, sitting between her and her son - a young, virile, handsome 17-year-old boy. We settle in and he strikes up a conversion with this young lady in the row in front of us. They get to chatting about things. She knows him because she’s seen him around town or some lame thing and then she asks, "Is that your Dad?" and points to me. I immediately flagged down the beer man and ordered two…for myself.

Look, I’m not a vain guy, really. No really, I’m not. I am what I am, moving along the path of life at a clip I consider reasonable. I’m happy with the accomplishments I’ve reached and I certainly don’t have a dearth of shiny and sparkling dreams to chase. There is a lot of life ahead of me and I’m looking forward to running it all down.

Although I do have this “slight” memory “problem” creeping up on me. Oh, don’t worry, it’s nothing serious. It’s not like I can hide my own Easter eggs - yet. But on occasion, I do have to stop and think about where I put the car keys. I attribute this memory “issue” to having too much going on in my life. Overload or something like that. The damn CPU that is my life is running at 100% most of the time. That little green line is flat-lined at the top of the graph.

So I’ve been taking more time for myself lately. Taking my retirement a little bit at a time (extra credit for those that know where that line comes from) and letting my mind rest a bit. Here on the blog we’ve been chatting about running around like striped ass apes trying to be a writer, promoter, mom, dad, and spouse and we forget about ourselves in that equation. Occasionally, you need to stop, fire up a nice Montecristo cigar, have a wee dram of Clynelish and enjoy the sweet, sweet summertime. Sit on the deck and listen to the neighborhood kids scream and hoot. Smile a self-satisfied smile that the rabbit you are watching is eating your neighbor’s flowers and not yours. Yeah, these days are certainly growing shorter and not longer, and I don’t want to forget to take time to enjoy them.

3 comments:

Mark Terry said...

Always good advice.

G.M. Malliet said...

Amen to this. And please tell us if no one gets it who the retirement quote is from.

Mark Combes said...

GM~

A hint for the retirement quote:

Bahia Mar, Slip F-18

Now that's a HUGE hint!